General Characteristics
Nature of Latin America has the development of agriculture and industrial production. At the beginning of its colonial activities here, Europeans used the vast territory only as a plantation station for livestock, that is engaged in agriculture, with industry minimum. But then it is actively developed.



Today's industrial character of the region defined by Argentina, Brazil and Mexico ( "big three", it accounts for 2 / 3 of industrial production in Latin America and provides through domestic production for more than 90% consumed in their industrial production), as well as Chile, Colombia, and Peru. One of the major industries in the region's economy - mining. In the structure of the value of its output accounts for about 80% of fuel (mainly oil), and the remaining approximately 20% - on mining raw materials. Leading positions in the mining industry occupy Mexico, Venezuela, Brazil and Argentina, with its broad list of harvests. The most dynamic sector of the economy in most continental countries of the region in recent decades has become the manufacturing industry. And in its products significantly decreased the proportion of traditional industries - textile, food, and leather and footwear and clothing, while increasing the share of some basic industries which produce capital goods. Particularly dynamic development chemistry and petroleum refining, ferrous metallurgy, machine building, production of construction materials. Today the newly industrializing countries in Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Mexico) are known not only domestically but also in the international market for its electronics, automobiles, products of chemical industry. The dramatic development of these countries relates to the protection of natural and human resources and able assistance of foreign technical expertise. As for the countries of Central America and the Caribbean, as well as Bolivia, Paraguay and some others, here in the industrial structure is still dominated by traditional industry sectors, especially food. Incidentally, this industry in many countries in Latin America has a pronounced export orientation, so the ports are highly proliferating. Accommodation industry in Latin America is characterized by predominantly monocentric structure, in which the industrial production of the country dominated by one center (Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Venezuela, Chile).



Despite the abatement share of agriculture in the economies of Latin America, its role is still great. In some countries (primarily Central America and the Caribbean), it remains the main sphere of material production, which occupied the predominant portion of the workforce. Using the methods of "green revolution", large-scale capitalist farms in these countries managed to achieve a significant increase in output of agriculture and animal husbandry. The results achieved in these countries, stand out markedly against the backdrop of stagnation of the agricultural sector in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc. Moreover, the backlog of Agriculture, laden semi-feudal remnants in most countries, especially noticeable in connection with the continuing rapid population growth . The leading branch of agriculture in Latin America - crop. In the crop area is dominated by cereals, mainly wheat and maize. There is a rapid build-up of crops of sorghum, which is associated with the high demand for it from the animal, and soy - the food and feed crops. Livestock also accounts for 1 / 3 of agricultural production in the region.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License